Big drag, we know, but thus tis.
We select manuscripts and authors for originality, excellence, and the strength to engage the present publishing establishment.
We want writers to appreciate today's book landscape against the busy media background. We want
- Quick pacing
- Vivid images
- Bold storytelling
- Malice, whether in murder or menace, in realistic urban or rural settings
- Complex villains with credible psychologies
- Poverty represented as a matter-of-fact background character in a story not about poverty
- Unsentimental characters who are not self-pitying
- Realistic stories that go deep into a character's day-to-day life inside non-European countries
- Non-fiction that posits a worldwide story
Our advice: do not pull your punches, these are not subtle times.