Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What We Want, Writers....

Although STNY remains closed to unsolicited submissions, we do consider work by authors personally recommended by our writer pals and editors. The personally is important because it means we trust the source (whom we implore to aim high).

Big drag, we know, but thus tis.

We select manuscripts and authors for originality, excellence, and the strength to engage the present publishing establishment.

We want writers to appreciate today's book landscape against the busy media background. We want
  • Quick pacing
  • Vivid images
  • Bold storytelling
As to content, here are random present interests
  • Malice, whether in murder or menace, in realistic urban or rural settings
  • Complex villains with credible psychologies
  • Poverty represented as a matter-of-fact background character in a story not about poverty
  • Unsentimental characters who are not self-pitying
  • Realistic stories that go deep into a character's day-to-day life inside non-European countries
  • Non-fiction that posits a worldwide story

Our advice: do not pull your punches, these are not subtle times.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very impressive client list, not least of which includes one of my children's favorites - Ame Dyckman. I hope to meet STNY at a conference or trade show at some point to hear about your work and hopefully get a chance to pitch my own picture books. In the meantime, my family will be enjoying the works of your authors and illustrators!

Unknown said...

Gosh, it is not everyday we have the opportunity to say, Gosh, it is not everyday we get such kind notes; thank you. ST

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott, will you be open to unsolicited submissions any time soon? I know this post is 2 years old but I have a manuscript that hits most of your bullet list. I guess I'll have to see if I have any friends in common with you at NYC agencies!

Unknown said...


Dear Mr. Treimel,
I have a YA book that you might be interested in
https://www.icloud.com/pages/0jGeDnISKjbZGy4yAbR1AG8iQ#Scott_Treimel_NY
It’s an iCloud link.

Unknown said...

Turning off the link in 48 HR’s.

Shannon Mackle said...

I did everything to get my boyfriend back but nothing worked.

I contacted a relationship doctor i saw online.

I told the relationship doctor everything,

He promised to fix my relationship problem.

I am the happiest lady on earth right now,

Never too late to fix your broken heart.

You can still get your lover back...

Fix broken relationship/marriage...

My relationship was restored as promised,

My Ex-boyfriend came back and promised never to leave me again

Everything happened just in 3 days..

I RECOMMEND YOU TO,,

Robinsonbucler@gmail.com. :-).

Search This Blog