Monday, January 25, 2010

It Takes a Village


that is how i understood the meaning of this story since the day it arrived.

HIGGLEDY-PIGGLEDY CHICKS marks Barbara Joosse's debut on the Greenwillow list. we are told Barnes and Nobel is especially hip on this book.

a behind the scenes tidbit: Barb's original title was FUZZY PEEPS. Harper changed it for fear of violating the trademark for the famous marshmallow candy, Peeps. frankly, we at STNY prefer the original title and find Harper's reasoning, well, peculiar. firstly, trademarks are granted in VERY specific categories, and a candy and book title are many miles apart; secondly, a title cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.

3 comments:

Lucy R said...

Fuzzy Peeps would have been awesome, but I'm sure it will still be fine. It has a cute front cover. I didn't know that a title could not be copyrighted--interesting.

Lili said...

But see, the second I read "peeps," I looked at cover again to see if the chicks looked like marshmallow peeps. I'm not fond of HIGGLEDY-PIGGLEDY, too hard on the tongue, but I think Harper made a good call in changing the title.

Anonymous said...

Respectfully, I must say that I like the Higgledy-Piggledy title. As a reading teacher and mother of two, I think young readers will be drawn to it. Kids love funny words.

Even though my own children are getting older now, they still love to have me read Barbara Joosse's MAMA, DO YOU LOVE ME. It touches all our hearts. What a talented author!

Search This Blog